Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Katherine Shappley of Microsoft

Katherine Shappley

Education: BA, English Literature, University of Mississippi & Post-Graduate Diploma in Journalism, London School of Journalism

Job title and employer: Account Executive, Microsoft

  1. What do you do for a living and how did you end up doing it?

I had a friend at a company called Quigo, who introduced me to some of the people she worked with. I ended up interviewing for a sales position with no experience, but they took me on because of my life experience, I think. Having travelled around the world teaching business English for 4 years, I was able to spin my experience as “selling English to a busy executive crowd”. Once I started working for Quigo, I established myself there and began working my network. I ended up at MSFT because of those connections and my track record at Quigo.

  1. What are three of the most interesting things you have done or that have happened to you, career-wise or other?

Traveling around the world in my 20s was by far the best thing I’ve ever done. It set me up for success in ways that I couldn’t have foreseen when I got back home. Getting a job is not always about fitting the exact job description and experience requirements. I was very lucky that the people I’ve interviewed with found a lot of value in my experiences abroad.

I moved to London to study Journalism after my traveling. I ended up getting a job at a magazine house, where they agreed to apply for my work permit. The permit application was eventually rejected, and I ended up having to leave the country. If this had not happened, I would not have moved to New York, nor would I be where I am today in my career. Lesson: Always be open to challenges and new opportunities, even if they seem tough at the time. The more you can turn challenging experiences into something positive, the more successful you’ll be.

Working in the online space at Microsoft is extremely interesting. No two days are the same, and the landscape is constantly shifting. Technology is getting better every second, and the way that we think about digital marketing is also evolving. This helps to keep everything fresh and interesting.

  1. What do you like about your current career?

There are a lot of great things about working in online sales at Microsoft. First of all, MSFT has some of the best benefits around. I just got back from our global conference in Atlanta, where we not only learned about the future vision of the company, but they also had spectacular events, like the renting out Six Flags for us at the end of the meeting! Day to day, I love sales because I’m constantly meeting people and interacting with highly intelligent teams. Part of my job is entertaining my clients, and I’m also very passionate about that.

  1. How does your career use your skills and what projects are you working on that best demonstrate them?

I’m very outgoing and love meeting new people. I am also highly detail-oriented. I have a lot of clients, so it’s imperative that I’m organized and focused on the right priorities. I’m currently getting ready for a meeting with a new team, where we’ll present MSFT’s vision for search marketing specifically. I’m also organizing this meeting around a lunch, so I’m busy hammering out the logistical details there.

  1. What career successes are you most proud of having achieved?

I’ve won two awards at Microsoft which I’m particularly proud of. The first is called the JACK award, which stands for Judgement, Accountability, Customer-Focus, and Know-How. This is an award presented based on peer feedback, so it means a lot to me that my colleagues would take the time to nominate me. Also, I won a trip to Maui last year, as one of MSFT’s highest revenue attainers globally. It was great!

  1. What training and education have you completed and what did you take away from these experiences?

I have a BA in English Literature and a British diploma in Journalism. Both of these accreditations have helped me in my written and oral communication skills, which are imperative to my job. I’ve also taken a lot of training at Microsoft, in areas such as presentation skills, negotiations, and how to effectively speak to your customers. This on the job training is another great benefit of working at MSFT and has helped my grow in my career.

  1. How do you spend your time outside of work?

I recently completed a photography course, so I’m often out and about in NYC taking photos of anything and everything. In addition to that, I love hanging out with friends and going to live music concerts. I try to see at least 1-2 shows a week!

  1. In what ways are you making a difference in other people’s lives?

I hope that I’m making it easier for people to do business with my team. If you don’t start with good communication and strong relationships, working with people in business can be downright awful. I also work for a company that places a high value on community service and charity. Every year, MSFT matches all of my charitable donations dollar for dollar, so hopefully I’ve been able to create something positive for people in that way.

  1. If you have children, how do you find the work/family balance?

    N/a However, I think it’s really important to hammer out a company’s policy on work/life/family balance. This is something you should always ask in an interview.

  1. If you were to start over again from college and still end up at the same job you’re currently at, what steps would you take differently?

None, I’ve absolutely loved every minute of what I’ve done. The key for me is the diverse range of experiences which I’ve been lucky enough to have in my career chapters.

  1. What barriers have you overcome to get to your present position today, and what lessons have you learned from your mistakes?

One of my biggest challenges has always been controlling my emotions. I have a lot of passion for life, and that can be a positive and negative thing, since passion can manifest itself in different ways. I have worked very hard to not take things personally and keep my emotions in check during difficult business situations. That really comes mostly from experience.

  1. What’s the greatest career advice you have ever been given? What advice do you bestow on others?

Stay positive, and take advantage of challenges! If you can successfully mitigate a challenge, you will gain infinite respect among your colleagues and build confidence in yourself. Get involved! You’ll never get ahead if you don’t put yourself out there.

  1. What accomplishments – both professionally and personally – do you hope to have achieved 20 years from now?

I’d love to get to a place financially where I can open a photography studio for fun!

1 comment:

sigsoog said...

Thanks you so much for sharing on this very nice and interesting story, I really like it. It will inspire me more to read your story along.

Women Career